3 Reasons to get a good night’s sleep

Let’s face it, we all feel better after a good night’s rest. Sleep just makes you feel better! But the benefits of sleep go way beyond eliminating yawns and bags under your eyes. Sufficient rest is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, according to a recent Health.com article. The featured article talks about 11 benefits, but in this post I will focus on my personal top three reasons to get a good night’s sleep!

1. Stay alert! Ok, so this goes without saying… but more often these days people are overwhelmed, overworked, and over-stressed. Lack of sleep leads to less productivity at work, less focus in conversation with family, and less attention behind the wheel. All of which are so important to our daily lives, which is why we need to get some rest and stay alert!

2. Muscle Recovery. Athletes and non-athletes alike need to sleep 6-8 hours a night. This is the body’s only chance to recover from the day’s activities. Whether pumping iron at the gym, hitting the pavement while training for a marathon, or simply chasing a couple of toddlers around all day – muscle recovery and rebuilding happens while you are sleeping. Having trouble making gains in strength or endurance? It may not be your workout after all – it could quite simply be the lack of rest!

3. Trigger Creativity.  I don’t know about you, but I naturally feel my best first thing in the morning. My mind races with ideas, blog topics, business concepts, as well as my things to do list! :-) But, I believe it is because my mind and body are rejuvenated after a good night’s sleep! I know there are some non-morning people out there that likely think I am crazy, but consider if you are sleeping good at night before you say you aren’t a “morning person” – you may just not be a “good-night-sleeper” which we all know can effect the entire day!

Stay tuned next week, when I will cover some of my personal tricks & tips on how you can get better sleep at night!

14 Responses to 3 Reasons to get a good night’s sleep

1. Kimberly K says:

I absolutely agree that I find myself up and at em after a good nights sleep – and truly do some serious brainstorming :) Sleep is so important! I loved this topic! Thank you for posting and reminding me to get more :)

2. Jenn C says:

I definitely could use more sleep or better. My 3 year old likes to wake me up in the middle of the night. Thankfully, I work from home and can sometimes take a quick nap, but it’s nothing like a good night of sleep.

3. Kelly Wade says:

Very true! Quality rest as well as the right amount is so important for all aspects of life. Not only do you have way more energy to get everything done,but its essential for your immune system and overall health.

4. Lisa says:

This is timely for me! I never have a problem with sleeping well but this week I’ve had insomnia and I feel like a different person. I can’t stay on task at home OR work and driving is much more challenging than it should be!

5. holly123 says:

Lisa, hope you get caught up on some much needed rest this weekend!

6. holly123 says:

Kelly, thanks for the comment!

7. holly123 says:

Jenn, I have a 2 year old and can COMPLETELY relate! We are finally back into a good nite nite routine with her, and (fingers crossed) she sticks with it! This mama feels so much better sleeping 8 hours a night!

8. holly123 says:

Kim, thanks for your comment!

9. denny hagel says:

Great tips! Love waking up refreshed after a good night sleep! Everything seems better!

10. Frances says:

I need to send this to my husband! LOL
    Yes, I’m one that NEEDS sleep, and if I don’t get enough, I’m a cranky pot! Actually my daughter’s the same way too.

Sleep is super important! Great post!

11. Dawn Lanier says:

Not getting enough sleep is hard on the mind, body and soul. Thanks for reminding us of these 3 good reasons to get a good night’s sleep.

12. Right on! Great tips Holly…sleep is definitely necessary for our overall well-being and it’s how the body actually recovers from the day’s stressors…thanks so much for your tips :)

13. Good reminders Holly, especially for the busy bees!! Everyone needs a break and it gives the body the rest it needs to go on for another day. =)

14. Lorii Abela says:

What a way to start the day after having a good night’s sleep. Good points Holly! Do you have any ritual before hitting the sack?